The Research Council of Zimbabwe (RCZ) is seeking an Event Manager for the 11th Zimbabwe International Research Symposium (ZIRS) scheduled for February 2017 in Victoria Falls.
RCZ is a statutory body established in terms of the Research Act [Chapter 10:22], to promote, direct, supervise and co-ordinate research.
RCZ hosts symposia biennially to bring together researchers, policy makers, government, industry, commerce, non-governmental organisations and various users of research results within and outside Zimbabwe. To date, ten symposia have been held, the most recent being in February 2015.
The theme of the 11th ZIRS, is “Research for Unlocking Entrepreneurship: Bridging the Gap”. As key players in the economy, entrepreneurs increasingly need to acquire new knowledge to innovate.
The 11th ZIRS will consist of the following six components.
- The Official Opening: Usually combined with the Awards Ceremony.
- Plenary Sessions: The keynote speaker and invited guests deliver their addresses.
- Parallel Sessions: Presenters have apportioned time for both presentation and discussion.
- Awards Ceremony: Celebration of individuals, groups, schools, universities, colleges and/or companies who have excelled in research and/or have registered success in employing Research and Development (R&D) or commercialisation of research results.
- Exhibitions: All categories including Young Scientists.
- Symposium Reception: Networking evening held on the first night.
3.0 Goals and Objectives
- To provide a platform for bridging the research-entrepreneurs knowledge gap for national wealth creation.
- To enable researchers and decision makers at all levels (including entrepreneurship level) in Zimbabwe and the rest of the world to exchange information, research findings and ideas for unlocking growth potential.
- To promote smart partnerships among researchers, entrepreneurs and other users of research results.
4.0 Scope of the Work
For the 11th ZIRS, the Event Manager will be tasked with the following key responsibilities:
- Resource mobilisation;
- Publicity of the symposium locally, regionally and internationally;
- Ensuring successful exhibitions including young scientists;
- Pre and on the day registration;
- The Official Opening and Awards ceremony;
- Logistics for international participants;
- Securing accommodation for conference participants and secretariat in Vic Falls at negotiated rates;
- On the day logistics; and
- Any other contractual obligations as agreed with RCZ.
5.0 Pre-Qualification Criteria
Interested respondents are required to include references on previous events of a similar nature. They should have demonstrated competences in fundraising, promotion and publicity of events. Respondents will also be evaluated on their ability to mobilise researchers to present papers and to organise an awards ceremony. Ability to mobilise participation of young scientists will be an added advantage.
All documents (letter of expression of interest, company profile, supporting documents, costs etc.) have to be submitted in Sealed Envelopes to; Research Council of Zimbabwe, 11 Stafford Road, Mt Pleasant, Harare. The envelopes should be clearly marked “Event Management of the 11th Zimbabwe International Research Symposium”. Interested participants should submit the EOI on or before 6 June 2016 (1500 Hours). Only shortlisted respondents will be contacted.
7.0 Contact Information
For any enquiries or additional information, call the Research Council of Zimbabwe (RCZ): Tel. 263-4-304733, 304787, cell 0712 954 330/2.