Nominations are being accepted for the 12th Zimbabwe International Research Symposium (ZIRS) Awards hosted by the Research Council of Zimbabwe (RCZ). The Awards will be given at the Symposium to be held at the Harare International Conference Centre from 13-15 February 2019. RCZ hosts symposia biennially to bring together researchers, policymakers, industry, commerce and various users of research results within and outside Zimbabwe. The ZIRS is an international event dedicated to showcasing the latest scientific research results, networking and creating smart partnerships. The Symposia Awards Ceremony is a platform to honour and recognise excelling researchers from various fields. At the 12th ZIRS awards will be given in eleven categories.
Nominations for awards are being invited from individuals, groups and companies who have done outstanding research in their areas of specialisation and have registered success in employing Research and Development (R&D) or commercialisation of research results.
12TH ZIRS OBJECTIVES
- To provide a platform for nurturing relationships between industry and academia for national socio-economic growth and shaping of the National Research Agenda.
- To facilitate increased transfer of knowledge from knowledge generators to knowledge users (Industry, entrepreneurs, investors).
- To bring to the fore research outputs with commercial value.
The theme for the 12th ZIRS is “The Nexus between Research and Industry: Key to Innovation and Sustainable Development”.
Thematic Areas Guidelines
The Call for Nominations is in any of the following National Research Priority theme areas:
- Social Sciences and Humanities: Understanding who we are as a nation, what we want, need and where we want to be in the future. Directing research to deliberately shape our future.
- Sustainable Environmental and Resource Management in Zimbabwe: Improving the way we utilize our land, water, mineral and energy resources through a better understanding of human and environmental systems and the use of new production technologies, as well as aerospace and other sensing technologies.
- Promoting and Maintaining Good Health: Promoting good health and well-being for all Zimbabweans.
- National Security of Zimbabwe: Safeguarding Zimbabwe from terrorism, crime, invasive diseases and pests, strengthening our understanding of Zimbabwe’s place in the region and the world, guarding the proper exploitation of our natural resources and securing our infrastructure.
THE AWARDS CATEGORIES
|Category||Cash Prize (USD)|
|Robert Gabriel Mugabe Award to an individual or team for outstanding research||1||10 000|
|Award to a Female Researcher for outstanding research||1||5 000|
|Award to a Company / Institute for outstanding application of Research & Development||1||5 000|
|Social Sciences and Humanities||1||5 000|
|Health Sciences||1||5 000|
|Natural and Environmental Sciences||1||5 000|
|National Security||1||5 000|
|University Student Research Award||1 500|
|College Student Research Award||1||1 500|
|Young Scientist – Secondary School||1||1 00|
|Young Scientist – Primary School||1||500|
- Obtain the Nominations form describing the procedure and nomination criteria here:12th ZIRS awards nomination Form
- Complete all sections of the Nomination form. Incomplete Nomination forms will not be considered.
- Nominations in multiple categories are permitted, however; each completed form should be used to make a nomination in a single category.
- Attach the supporting documents for the nomination.
- Self-nomination is allowed although not encouraged.
- Nominations entered previously and did not win but have made significant improvements from the last entry may be renominated.
- The nomination must be supported by evidence.
- The nomination must be based on work done in Zimbabwe.
- The nominations submitted will be subjected to a thorough verification and assessment process by a panel of experts and ranked to decide the winning entries for each category.
- Nominees and nominators may be requested to provide evidence and respond to queries relating to the submitted nomination.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF NOMINATIONS
- 1500 hours on 30 August 2018
SEND YOUR NOMINATIONS TO:
- The Executive Director, Research Council of Zimbabwe, 11 Stafford Road Mt Pleasant Harare
Email to: email@example.com cc firstname.lastname@example.org